Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sports, celebrities and remote travel destinations




 



Find the mistake in the expressions in bold below:

  • (Two friends about to go hang gliding) You are not about to get warm feet now, are you?
  • (Two coworkers talking about a colleague who just got promoted) He must be in the moon with the news.
  • (A school teacher introducing himself on the first day) Alright, pen and paper out, get ready for a pop quiz. Not! I was just kicking your leg
  • (A couple trying to reach an agreement about whether to buy an apartment or a car) Honey, it just shone on me - the prices of apartments are going to be much cheaper after the Olympics. Let's buy a car and wait things out.
  • (A person confiding to a friend about a close relative) She's been acting strangely the last days, I can't rub my finger on it.
  • (A senior telling his grandchildren of a memorable football game he saw) It was one of the most intense football games I had ever seen. My team won in the very last minute of additional time. It was a gut-squeezing experience I will never forget.


Do the expressions below refer to Sports (S), Celebrities (C) or Travel to remote places (T)?
  1. a change of routine
  2. a life-changing experience
  3. be obsessed with
  4. be well-paid
  5. fair-weather friends
  6. faraway place
  7. far-flung
  8. fun and entertaining
  9. off the beaten track
  10. release stress
  11. take up
  12. to depend on their bodies to make a living
  13. to lower cholesterol
  14. to put food on the table
  15. well-balanced


Now complete the sentences with your own ideas
  1. I keep a well-balanced
  2. It’s hard to put food on the table with
  3. I would never take up
  4. A change in routine requires
  5. You should expect fair-weather friends when
  6. There are several ways to lower cholesterol without
  7. A life-changing experience can be something as simple as   
  8. I never understood why people are so obsessed with
  9. Being well-paid is more important than/as important as
  10. Going to a faraway place can be 

With a little help for the answers, click here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


I wοulԁ liκе to let уou
κnow that I have lοveԁ the informаtion on your pаge heгe.
it's been well put together and I will be back periodically to see what is actually new.