Monday, August 22, 2011

Are you an underuser?



































































Just in!







Most people would be able to identify the items above.






Can you compete a sentence for each item? Here is an example:



A desktop is used for editing and processing texts, watching movies, burning CDs and DVDs, downloading music, uploading photos, editing photos and videos, recording your voice, creating spreadsheets and slide presentations ... Anything else?



The short paragraph here illustrates the uncountable number functionalities each of these gadgets has, many of which we don’t know of or we have never even used.



An overwhelming majority of people today are underusers – people who have the latest technological devices but never even use them or have no idea how to use them fully.



Here is an intriguing example: recent studies have shown that most wifi networks are underutilized.



Here is another to prove the point: i-pads are being used in schools but most teachers, and subsquently students, have no idea how to really use them efficiently and their presence in the classroom has not improved or facilitated the learning process.



So, tell us:











How many of these gadgets do you have?





How do you use them?



Do you know what they can do (their functionalities)?



How essential are they to your life?



How have they changed the way you do things?



Why do most people have so many gadgets and always buy new ones?








How much are tech companies (who produce and sell these gadgets) responsible for this underuser phenomenon?


8 comments:

Angela said...

What I miss the most is the emotion I had in the past, every time I got a new “gadget”.
I could understand the gadget functionality and “overuse” it.

I can clearly remember my first portable tape recorder, then the new version which had an “incredible” micro tape . It was amazing to take it anywhere inside my purse.

I also remember my first answering machine. A friend of mine who was living in the US sent it to me.
It was unique!
My friends got really surprised when they phoned me and it wasn`t me but someone else `s voice that answered the phone.

I confess it took me some time to read the mannual, but I was able to use ALL the functionalities .

Today, when I`m introduced to a new gadget and learn how to use 30% of it, there`s a newer version being launched in the market with double functionality.
It`s frustrating!

Anonymous said...

People buy these things just to say that they have. It's a question of status. It sounds like the case of the Fox and the Grapes (a famous Aesop fable)

Anonymous said...

For me a gadget like an i-pad is very practical, apart from being very beautiful and good for the ego, it helps me organize all the books and magazines I have to read for work.

BiaSeidl said...

I confess that I can´t follow all brand new inovations.It´s so boring!But I agree that my cel phone do a good job in my life.
Internet make the revolution but I can´t stand like a vicious.
We must choose the best way to work with it.

Maria said...

I am not able to use many gadgets because sometimes I can't understand their intructions of use.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Maria.
I hate reading mannuals and instructions.

Anonymous said...

I can see Bia`s point.
No doubt that computers are indispensable in our lives but we should be very careful not to be addicted to it.

Bruna said...

I don't have so many of these gadgets, just a celphone and a laptop. I think it's like Angela said, nowdays is really fast the launch of the new gadgets! In the same year we have so many of them!Just the sale of an idea or design and if you buy it you'll feel like you're special person, different... All crap!