Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's all about accents, baby!



Another great video talking about the difference between English accents - especially the two most common- British and American. American comedian Elon Gold takes a humoristic look at some peculiar things the Brits do when they speak.

Before you watch the video, answer Right or Wrong.

The Americans pronounce the "t" sound like a flap

The British always pronounce the "t" sound

The British sometimes replace the " t" sound with another sound

As you watch the video, answer these questions:

How would a Russian say this sentence?
This trafic is unbelievable

What letter do the Israelis insert in this sentence?
I want them to go to ...

How would a German say this sentence?
Weren't you the guy I saw this morning at the coffee house?

The last part of the video deals with an interesting aspect: the weird relationship each accent has with one letter.

With the Russians, it's the letter "y".

With the Isrealis, it's the letter "m".

With the Germans, its the letter "z".

What about other accents - (Brazilian) Portuguese, (South American) Spanish, French or Italian?

Why do the nationalities use a specific letter or sound the way they do when they speak English?

2 comments:

Angela said...

There`s an old song that can illustrate the post:
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" is a song written by George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin for the 1937 film Shall We Dance .

The song is most famous for its “You like to-may-toes (/təˈmeɪtoʊz/) and I like to-mah-toes (/təˈmɑːtoʊz/)” and other verses comparing the different pronunciation.

LOUIS ARMSTRONG was one of the greatest interpreters of the song.

-You may find the melody at:
www.metrolyrics.com/lets-call-the-whole-thing-off-lyrics-louis-armstrong. html -


And the lyrics are here:

Verse
Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

Chorus - 1
You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas, I'll wear pyjamas and give up
pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we , Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off.


Chorus - 2
You say laughter and I say larfter, You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter, Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanella, You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters, I'll order oysters and cancel
the ersters
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off,
Let's call the whole thing off

Anonymous said...

Brazilians tend to pause a lot and use the letter "e" at the end of words that end in a consonant

"I like to eat a lot of chocolate" might sound like "I likee to eatee a lotee of chocolatee".